Search This Blog

Monday 25 May 2015

I arrive in London

35 hours since I left home, here I am in my London Hotel. It is Bank Holiday - so traffic is, apparently, milder and lots of people out and about on foot. 

My journey was relatively straightforward - delay leaving Melbourne because of a broken air bridge which meant boarding planes through one door only. Consequently our turn-around time in Dubai was short. However, after we had taxied to the take-off position we returned to the terminal to disembark not one, but two, passengers who had been taken ill and required paramedic (and subsequent hospital) treatment. Their bags, of course, had to be located and removed. We also topped up the fuel we had used up taxiing. 

So already there are untold stories. Who were the two passengers? How were they taken ill? What is happening to them? Those of us who passed this hurdle on our journey were soothed with lavender and lemongrass tea (calms the nerves), pretzels and cashews. Our stories continue in common for a while longer - but do not declare themselves. We read and watch our separate movies (Into the Woods for me)

We arrived some two hours late into Heathrow - a few queues, numerous long corridors interspersed with travelators, luggage carousel, more corridor and out the magic door to find the Qantas car organiser. I am assigned a quiet, pleasant driver. The ride is smooth - greenery and May flowers give way to more car sales showrooms than I have seen in any one city. Has the great Naval Power and Railway Engineering Workshop turned into a Car Showroom? For miles buildings are designed to display cars in glass towers above the M4. Modern versions of Rapunzel's tower - with, presumably, hydraulic  lifts instead of hair - and cars in place of maiden. 

The showrooms give way to housing, housing to shops. Brick gives way to steel and glass, then to less steel and more glass.

We drive around and around Bloomsbury for 20 minutes trying to find my hotel. The driver is mortified. Asks direction of passers by - one eventually comes good.

All is well.  I have a map of London and the British Museum is around the corner. The wifi works, my phone is recharging - and I have a most comfortable looking bed. There's not too much more a girl could ask for right now.


9 comments:

  1. It worked! Love the blog background....it's from your Julia Gillard piece, isn't it? Enjoy London!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to following your trip. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous. How will you choose what to see at the museum?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question. There is an Australian Indigenous Art Exhibition that might be a start.

      Delete
  4. I'm glad you are all safe and settled for now. I saw a Scottish needlework tour advertised on Mary Corbet's website -- is that the one you will join? It looks beautiful.

    Maybe see something at the museum that you wouldn't see at home? Although I"m sure a different perspective would be interesting too. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She may well have advertised it but I didn't see it. She has certainly promoted their retreat in the Lakes District. The link is http://www.crewelwork.com/blog/workshops-retreats/the-scottish-highlands-tour-19-30-june-2015/.

      Delete
    2. Yes, that's the one! It will be fun to follow your itinerary.

      Delete
  5. Love the photos especially of the roof tops. And of course your original take on being a London traveller. I'm going to enjoy this virtual tour! Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Carolyn. Writing helps me focus my attention!

    ReplyDelete